Saturday, May 16, 2009

Scrumptious Saturday

My first scrumptious Saturday post!! Ok, I LOVE LOVE LOOOOOOVE to bake!! I am seriously famous in this city for my chocolate chip cookies. They are addicting to say the least. I have handed my recipe over countless times and people STILL seem to mess it up?

SO here it is:
1 c. unsalted butter, softened
3/4 c. granulated sugar
3/4 c. dark brown sugar
1/2 tbsp. pure vanilla
1 egg
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt (it might seem like a lot but it makes all the difference)
2 1/2 c. unbleached flour
1 pkg. semisweet, butterscotch, milk chocolate or white chips
1c. nuts of your choice... I use walnuts w/darker chocolate, pecans with butterscotch and macadamias with the white chips.

These will bake at 375 for 8-10 minutes. Cream the heck out of the butter and sugar. You don't just want it incorporated, you want it to increase in volume. You need to work air into it. Then add your vanilla and egg, mixing until well blended (I do mine in a stand mixer, but a hand mixer works well too). Add first cup of flour, mix, add salt and baking powder with second cup, mix, then add the last 1/4 cup. Stir in chips and nuts by hand.

Do not let the dough sit out, when butter is too soft the cookies will spread and thin. I like chewy cookies. I pull mine out at 8 minutes when the tops are just slightly golden and you can touch it without leaving a dent (touch, not push!). They will continue cooking for a minute so don't freak and think they are undercooked.

I pre-portion my cookies with a rounded tablespoon so that I can bake at will and the cookies won't get "old" tasting (as RJ says). I get about 3 dozen out of this recipe.


Hope this recipe helps some of you!!


No comments:

Post a Comment