Monday, June 1, 2009

Sewing machine month

The ladies over at sew mama sew are doing a whole series about sewing machines this month. Since it is something I've recently picked up again, I think I will participate. I have 2 machines, but since one is still in New Mexico I will write about my first.



What brand and model do you have? A Brother VX-1120
How long have you had it? almost 10 years, since December 1999
How much does that machine cost (approximately)? This model is about $100 brother-vx1120
What types of things do you sew (i.e. quilting, clothing, handbags, home dec. projects, etc.)? Mostly it has been used for costumes and home dec. projects
How much do you sew? I sew a few times a week right now.
How much wear and tear does the machine get? I sew quickly, so sometimes it will shake the table. I don't do a lot of denim/dense projects.
Do you like/love/hate your machine? Are you ambivalent? Passionate? Does she have a name?
I really do like my machine, it is simple and easy to use/thread. She doesn't have a name but I think I may call her Belle.
What features does your machine have that work well for you? an on/off switch? Haha. She is very simple and straightforward. At least she goes in reverse.
Is there anything that drives you nuts about your machine? No.
Do you have a great story to share about your machine? I was depressed and living away from home when I got it. At first I was kind of upset that I got something practical... but then I made my first pillowcase, and then some curtains, and then I appliqued a fabulous pair of jeans. I have used it periodically since then when I need a pick-me-up. Now that I have 2 kids and stay home I use it all the time.
Would you recommend the machine to others? Why? I would recommend this machine to novice sew-ers and people who periodically decide to make things. There are not a lot of special features and it didn't come with any additional feet. It does get the job done though.
What factors do you think are important to consider when looking for a new machine? I think it is important to decide what exactly you will be using the machine before. I need something that is all-purpose.
Do you have a dream machine? I would LOVE something that embroiders but am not particular on brand. I own this and the Singer Inspiration 4228



No comments:

Post a Comment